Monday 5 April 2010

CROSSFIRE/LE BEAT BESPOKE ALLNIGHTER SETLIST


Well, that was some evening last night/this morning to finish this year’s four night Beat Bespoke event in olde London Town. All three rooms were packed and a buzzing atmosphere throughout. I was suffering with a stinking cold which was soon forgotten although I looked rough before I even went out, so heaven knows what I looked like after ten hours of caning the Stella. And to make matters even more interesting I managed to lose a contact lens so that created a bizarre disorienting effect. If you thought I was winking at you lecherously, I probably wasn't.

Here’s what I played for the first set at 01.10am. Doesn’t look much like what I’d intended, but that’s usually the way:

Leo Price Band – Hey Now Baby (Up Down)
Grover Pruitt – Little Girl (Salem)
Jessie Mae – Don’t Freeze On Me (Dra)
Artie Golden – Look Out (Sunshine)
Dorie Williams – Tell Me Everything You Know (635)
The Gardenias – What’s The Matter With Me (Fairline)
Bobby Peterson Quintet – Mama Get Your Hammer (V-Tone)
JB Lenior – She Don’t Know (Checker)
Banny Price – You Love Me Pretty Baby (Jewel)
Ernie Washington – Lonesome Shack (Chattahoochee)
Aretha Franklin – Tighten Up Your Tie, Button Up Your jacket (Columbia)
Rufus Lumley – I’m Standing (Holton)
Mike Pedecin – Burnt Toast and Black Coffee (Federal)
Buddy Guy – I Dig Your Wig (Chess)
Dick Holler – Mooba Grooba (Comet)
Sugar Boy Williams – Little Girl (Herald)
Mitty Collier – My Babe (Chess)
Kim Weston – Helpless (Gordy)

At 05.10am came the closing set of the weekend. After three allnighters of great music for the connoisseur, thought it would be nice to end on an unashamedly populist one. Seemed to do the trick:

Gospel Pearls – Two Little Fishes (Liberty)
Gladys Tyler – A Little Bitty Girl (Decca)
Anna Belle Caesar – Little Annie (Glad-Hamp)
John Lee Hooker – Think Twice before You Go (Bluesway)
Harmonica Fats – Tore Up (Darcey)
Isley Brothers – This Old Heart Of Mine (Tamla Motown)
The Elgins – Heaven Must Have Sent You (Tamla Motown)
Barbara Randolph – I Got A Feeling (Soul)
Marjorie Black – One More Hurt (Sue)
The Marvelettes – I’ll Keep Holding On (Tamla)
Ann Sexton – You’ve Been Gone Too Long (Seventy Seven)
Sunday – Ain’t Got No Problems (Chess)
Mel Torme – Comin’ Home Baby (London)
Barabara Dane – I’m On My Way (3 Trey)
Marv Johnson – Come On and Stop (United Artists)
Lou Lawton – Knick Knack Patty Wack (Wand) for Guy
Darrow Fletcher – The Pain Gets A Little Deeper (Groovy)
The Temptations – Get Ready (Tamla Motown)
Edwin Starr – Stop Her On Sight (S.O.S.) (Ric-Tic)

Cheers to everyone who made it so much fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment