Tuesday 11 September 2012

THE IMPRESSIONS at the JAZZ CAFE



I wrote a gushing review of The Impressions' Barbican show last year so I’ll keep this brief but it would be remiss of me not to mention how wonderful they were again this time around.

Sam Gooden, Fred Cash and Reggie Torian performed with style, grace, dignity and soul and treated Curtis Mayfield’s songs with the utmost respect. “I’ve Been Trying” bought a lump to the throat and a tear to the eye; “Choice of Colors” wasn’t far behind with its gentle yet persuasive power; and the sermon during “People Get Ready” almost made a believer out of me. It was nothing short of a soul master class. I can still hear them by looking at this photo.

To my mind The Impressions are the greatest vocal group of all-time; their shows now - over half a century from when they began - only cement that thought. These are lasting Impressions.

No comments:

Post a Comment